Monday, September 04, 2006

 

Bonjour, Ya'll!

Blake and I spent the last week on the French island of Ile de Re learning French. Our teacher was a lovely French woman named Claire. She immediately spoke to us in French and continued to do so, with few exeptions, for the remainder of the week. I was a little discouraged when I found myself struggling to comprehend what was being said but I got used to it for the most part.
It was exhausting! We met Claire every day at 9AM and stayed with her until at least 9PM. Most days we were with her until 10 or later. We bicycled to the nearby villages, shopped at the local markets, walked along the beach, and met several of Claires friends... all the while speaking (or trying to speak) French.
Although it was difficult I do feel like I walked away with a better understanding of French. I doubt I'll be carrying on any conversations with Jacques Chirac but I figure I can at least order lunch the next time I go to Paris.
Blake struggled with it more than I did. I am reminded of Phoebe from Friends trying to teach Joey how to speak French.
Phoebe: Repeat after me: Je m'appelle Claude.
Joey: Je de coop plow.
Phoebe: Let's try it again: Je m'appelle Claude.
Joey: Je de plee bloom.
If you thought it took Blake a long time to tell a story in English you should hear him try to tell one in French!
Honestly, though, I am really proud of Blake. It was obviously difficult for him but he kept trying.
I left today but Blake will continue with his lessons until Saturday. So if you think about it, you might want to send him a little note of encouragement.

Comments:
I picture you in French class and keep thinking of "Me Talk Pretty One Day" -- is it like that?
 
sounds like intensive work but nothing like being immersed into it all. Very proud of both of you
 
Jim, I keep picturing the two of them as Peppermint Patty and Marcie, listening to the teacher talk on that time The Peanuts went to France.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?