Monday, February 27, 2006

 

"I laughed. I cried. It was better than CATS. I'd see it again and again."

Yesterday Blake and I saw one of my favorite shows: STOMP! While this was the fourth time I had seen the show, Blake was a STOMP virgin. I don't think he was as excited as I was to see it but I knew that once he saw it he would love it.
I ordered our tickets through Lastminute.com as part of a dinner and a show package. I love using Lastminute.com except for one thing: you don't get to pick where your seats are. I assume they just assign you the best seats available in your price range. Normally this isn't an issue. We typically buy the most expensive seats and have never been disappointed. This time, however, I was distracted like a magpie to a shiny object by the Dinner & show from £19.95. So I booked two tickets for the Sunday matinee which included lunch at Fire & Stone. I wanted to see STOMP anyway and I figured this was basically like getting a free meal.
According to the ad, "Fire & Stone takes Pizza to an exciting new level offering wood-fired, stone-baked pizzas, made from entirely fresh ingredients." Blake took one bite into his pizza and said "This is made with frozen crust." My pizza, while tasty, was lukewarm at best; however, my Rocket and Parmesan salad with a balsamic dressing was very good. Of course, how hard is it to throw some arugula and Parmesan cheese in a bowl and sprinkle it with oil and vinegar?
Anyway, on with the show. STOMP has resided at London's Vaudeville Theatre for the past four years give or take a few months. The Vaudeville isn't the largest theatre and I have to say I was a little disappointed when we hiked up to the top floor (the upper circle) and found our way to our seats. Suddenly I was reminded of my seats at the top row of the Kentucky Center for the Arts, affectionately referred to as "The Cloud Club". I'd like to pass on some sage advice. If you see STOMP at the Vaudeville Theatre, spend the extra money and get tickets in the dress circle. We were able to view about 95% of the show from where we were seated but we missed anything more than a few feet above the dancers. From the more expensive seats you will also most likely not be surrounded by children unwrapping candy every two minutes as we were.
Despite not being in the most ideal vantage point, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. There haven't been many (if any) changes to the show since I saw it last, but it was very interesting to see this cast's interpretation.
It is difficult to explain to someone who has never seen STOMP what the show is about. It's rhythm, finding the music in everyday things... even the kitchen sink. It's also very funny. I mean how can you not laugh at people digging through the garbage to make music?
I can't wait to see it again ... and again.

Comments:
I sing when I dig through garbage...does that count?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?